You can have the future God wants for you. You don’t have to be limited by what others say about you. But first you have to take ownership of your mind.
What you think will determine what you can do. How you perceive yourself will influence what you are able to accomplish. Everything you are able to do will start with your thought life.
Don’t make yourself fail even before you start. Here is a three-step process that you can use to take ownership of your mind.
1. Stop listening to lies.
I’m sure you remember the schoolyard phrase, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” Nothing could be further from the truth. Words have much longer lasting effects than sticks or stones. But the good news is you don’t have to be controlled by those words.
If people in your life said, “You’ll never amount to much”—you don’t have to believe it. If people close to you told you “You’re so stupid”—it doesn’t have to control you.
You don’t have to internalize anything anyone says about you. Even though hurtful words may reverberate through your head, you can choose to stop listening to those lies.
2. Fill your mind with truth.
God says what is true about you. These are some verses you can meditate on to remind you what is true.
- You have been adopted into God’s family (Ephesians 1:5).
- You are God’s masterpiece (Ephesians 2:10).
- God works all things together for good to those who love Him (Romans 8:28).
- Nothing can separate you from the love of God (Romans 8:35-39).
- God will keep doing the good work in you that He started (Philippians 1:6).
- God did not give you a spirit of fear but of power, love, and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7).
- You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you (Philippians 4:13).
Since it’s your mind, you get to choose what you will fill it with.
3. Decide who you will believe.
You have a choice. You can believe the lies said to you, or you can believe what the Scripture says about you. Remember: it’s your choice.
When your mind recalls the lies that have been spoken about you, you can counteract them with the truth of God’s word. When the enemy of your soul brings those hurtful words back into your thoughts, you can decide to change the channel.
You don’t have to stay stuck with those hurtful words and lies repeating in your head. You can decide you will believe what God’s word says about you and fill your mind with truth. Because you can take ownership of your mind.
What do you think? Share your thoughts with a friend. You can share this article on Facebook by clicking here.